Sunday, January 3, 2010

My Introduction to Saint Paul Rotary

On December 29th, I arrived at the Saint Paul Crowne Plaza Hotel. It was there that at twelve noon, every Tuesday, the Saint Paul Rotary club meets. And today was my first meeting.

I was looking forward to my first taste of Rotary. Through my preparations for my exchange interviews I had learned a bit about Rotary, but now it was time to actually meet Rotarians. As I walked up to the ballroom doors with my parents, I was could feel the butterflies start to lift off. What would this be like? Would I have to make a speech? I quickly rehearsed my mini-introduction and prepared thank you in case I would have to say anything. "Hi! My name is Mariah and I live in Saint Paul..."

Mom, Dad, and I received name tags, heavy-duty stickers embossed with the Rotary emblem, (which I have now placed on the front of my planner, to remind me of what the future holds!) and promptly started a conversation with the lady at the desk. I told her I would be studying in Poland next year, and she was extremely excited for me. She gave me her Rotary business card, my first in what I'm sure will be a large collection. I met another Rotarian, Dad and he chatted about being from southern MN, and shortly John arrived with his six year old son in tow. Today John explained was not going to be a normal Rotary meeting, it was the annual bring your kids or grandkids meeting. John and I chatted for awhile, he is a wonderfully interesting and competent man, and I'm sure that it will be great working with him.

Soon the room was filled with mostly older adults and young children. It was time to eat. The food spread was incredible, two different entrees, vegetables, desserts and the best part is that apparently this was normal! I might just have to begin to stop by on Tuesdays... We were seated in a table with John, his son and another Rotarian and his eight year old son, Tony. Tony was quite a character, and loved to revealing obscure scientific facts.

After eating and chatting for a while, the group was called to attention by the a ringing bell. We were led in song, God Bless America, (apparently, John said, Rotarians love to sing - my kind of people!) and then an multi-faith invocation was said. We all sat back down and the meeting began. First, any visiting Rotarian members were introduced, a young soldier recently back from Iraq presented the a flown flag to the group. Then, for any amount of donation people could present to the group. One lady gave twenty dollars in honor of the soldiers serving overseas, the director of the History Museum promoted her new exhibit, and a grandmother told of her newest granddaughter's birth. It was then that all guests were introduced to the meeting. That meant that John introduced my parents and me, saying that I was a future exchange student going to Poland. I didn't have to make a speech.

The meeting ended with a performance by Stepping Stone Theater, scenes from the Best Christmas Pageant Ever. It was great to see the kids preform and I really enjoyed it.

Overall, I was really impressed by my first step into the Rotary world. Everyone was extremely friendly, after the meeting several people came up and introduced themselves to me, and very interested in my exchange. I have noticed that Rotarians are very business oriented, but also willing to have a good time. I'm really excited to keep attending more meetings and to get to know the club better. I'm so grateful for their support.

No comments:

Post a Comment