Five Countries, beautiful spring landscapes, fairy-tale castles, gorgeous sun, salty sea spray, exploring history, making memories, hours on a bus, learning bits and pieces of new languages, gelato, famous cities, 1,000 photos and seeing the Pope. It all happened on one of the most incredible trips of my life - the Euro Trip 2011.
Day 1: 24 hour bus ride
Left from Kielce 8:00 am, arrived in Paris, France at 8:00am next day. Longest bus ride of my life.
Day 2: Paris
After emerging from the depths of the Parisian subway, our first stop was the famous Cathedral of Notre Dame
The Eiffel Tower was built for the 1889 World's Fair and now is the symbol of France. There is an incredible view from the top and I was lucky enough not to have to climb up the 600 stairs...
For my 10th birthday party I served eclairs instead of cake. Who knew that the day before my 19th birthday I would eat a real French eclair!
Day 3: My birthday in the French countryside
The beautiful hall of mirrors in the Palace of Versaille. Versaille is incredible - the size and splendor of the place is grander than anything I have ever seen. Gold, jewels and more gold.
Chateau Chambord, a magical castle south of Versaille. With it's huge, but graceful proportions and gorgeous views of the surrounding countryside, I think that Chambord might be one of my favorite places I visited.
Day 4: Tallest Bridge in the World
We first climbed to the top of the overview and then got back on the bus to drive across the tallest bridge in the world - Millau Viaduct. Over 1500 feet tall, the villages underneath it look like ant colonies!
Day 5: Carcassonne and FC Barcelona
Carcassonne is a completely intact medieval fortress that still holds a lovely little town. It has huge outer walls and to enter one must walk over a moat. Inside the roads are still the same size they were when traveled by carts, making it a bit narrow for the cars and tourists to pass at the same time!
Last stop of the day - the world famous FC Barcelona soccer stadium. Home stadium to the famous Catalonian soccer team, there are enough seats for almost 100,000 people!
Day 6: Barcelona
The Sagrada Familia Church. Building started in 1880s and is expected to be finished sometime in 2020. Is incredibly tall with amazingly detailed sculptures covering its sides. Architect - Gaudi
View of Barcelona was a top one of its highest points. The statues are dancing a traditional Catalonian dance.
The famous lizard in the Park Güell. Park Güell is a fascinating park full of color, mostly made up of mosaics. It has lovely views of Barcelona and the longest park bench in the world!
Day 7: Southern Coast of France
Avignon - Palace of the Popes. During violent periods in the Middle Ages, the popes lived here in this beautiful palace on the southern coast of France.
Pont du Gard is part of the ancient Roman aquaduct system in France. Its image can be found on the back on the €5 note!
Day 8: Monaco
Famous Monte Carlo Casino. Unfortunately it was not open the day I was there so I wasn't able to win a million dollars, but I definitely saw people who had a million dollars!
Day 9: Florence
Day 10: Rome
Day 11: Vatican

Went to a public audience with the Pope. When I took this picture I was standing about 6 feet away as he drove by!

Day 12: Pompei and Mount Vesuvius

After a long, very windy bus ride and then an incredibly steep hike, I made it to the top of Mount Vesuvius. There was an incredible view from the top, a lovely breeze and a huge sense of acomplishment!

In the center of the Pompei ruins! Pretty amazing to be walking on the same roads that Romans walked thousands of years ago!

One of the hundreds of stray dogs that make the ruins of Pompei their home. They snoozed in the shade of the columns, jumped through ancient doorways and watched people enter the Roman baths!
Day 13: Romeo and Juliet's Verona

Juliet's Balcony! However, it is a fake - the real balcony is believed to be on the other side of the building, where it's impossible to photograph.
Day 14: Venice

One of the beautiful canals of Venice. A beautiful city, where boats really are the form of transportation! Unfortunately, I didn't get to take a gondola ride due to extremely high prices, but it's amazing to watch them float down the canals!
Day 15: Back to Kielce - and a surprise!
'









This is really a long blog...especially considering that "a picture is worth a thousand words!" Love the great pictures and the captions. Am also anxious to learn someday about the stories wrapped around the pictures. Really glad you had such a wonderful experience, Mariah.
ReplyDeleteOh Mariah, the pictures are lovely! Some of the sights you are seeing are familiar from Emma's pictures. I look forward to hearing the accompanying stories. Following your blogs is delightful, and am grateful that you are keeping us up to date. Have fun, the weather here is a lot less spring-like than I would choose.
ReplyDeleteJean
Un placer pasar a saludarte,
ReplyDeletesi te gusta la poesía te invito a mi blog,
que tengas un feliz fin de semana.
un abrazo.
Terrific pictures and story, Mariah! I'm excited for you to be seeing so many wonderful, important things and places. I really enjoy your posts. Life is delicious, no?
ReplyDelete